Recalibration and Resurgence
Five noteworthy trends in the casino sector in the next ten years
- The emergence of hospitality REITs such as MGM Growth Properties could conceivably be an impactful nascent trend in the US domestic casino sector.
- The opening of Circa in late 2020 and the opening of ResortsWorld in early 2021 could portend the emergence of Downtown and North Strip properties as major industry players. IPOs of Stevens or Fertitta properties appear probable in due course and could supercharge this trend.
- The development of high speed rail connections from Los Angeles in the coming decade could ensure that Las Vegas remains a major destination well into the future.
- Domestic regional hubs such as Boston and Biloxi could conceivably have more upside potential than destinations such as Las Vegas in the decade ahead. Volatility in the Macau market such as rumored consideration of implementation of digital currencies by Beijing and the 2022 license renewal process for foreign casino operators could prompt a shift back to the US market and toward emerging markets such as Singapore and Cambodia.
- The rise of sports betting and online betting has revolutionized the US casino sector, with smaller players such as Boyd and Penn National proving notably nimble in successfully responding with effective strategies in a smooth and speedy manner. That said, such nascent markets are far from saturated, with larger brand names such as MGM and Wynn potentially having sizable upside potential.